Saturday, September 5, 2009

Well THAT was interesting.

I know it has been a week since d-day. But it's taken me that long to process the whole thing. It's actually even weirder than one might think. It didn't help that we left the house before dawn (thank Buddha for my mom who drove!). I had to go to a doctor 2 hours away since my RE was on vacation. So, we got there in plenty of time. They thawed out the dd while we went and got some horrible powdered eggs and bacon (as if I didn't already feel like throwing up.)

Now, I had resigned myself to the idea that a man would be performing the procedure. Not thrilled - but resigned. See my post entitled "I'm not a lightbulb joke." So, I'm sitting there with my little sheet (ladies, I'm sure you understand), waiting and waiting and wondering if this is the worst idea I've ever had, and hoping that the donor isn't some secret serial killer, and realizing that I hadn't shaved my legs in a couple of days. Seriously, they should never leave a woman alone in the stirrup room for more than 2 minutes.

Then the door opened and in walked 2 women. The younger one said, "Hi, I'm Dr. aedfjwpoafie. I should remember her name, but I don't. I was just so relieved she was going to possibly knock me up! She held up a vial that couldn't possibly cost $500 even though it did. Really - that tiny vial? For $500? She assured me it was very concentrated - kinda like they do with orange juice, I guess.

Anyway, after that, there was 5 minutes of procedure, 15 minutes of laying still, and then 2 more hours driving home and freaking out on occasion. Again, thank Buddha for my mom who drove! I think there is some instinctual part of me that wanted my eggs to yell, "Stranger danger!" at those swimmers and run away. I mean really, I don't know this person. And now I've got his sperm hunting down my eggs. And I PAID for it!

Well, I'm sure you can see why it took me a week to write this. I've had time to distance myself from the idea of foreign invaders. I'm looking for appropriate analogies to use. Adding water to a chia pet........not quite right, but close. Adding the activator to hair color to make it work........ a little better (if not as literal).

So now I'm off to get another blood test. FUN!!!!

2 comments:

  1. We had forgotten how long and agonizing the waiting is - and all the crazy thoughts that go through your head along the way. I can't tell you how many times Sue decided - way too late, that she had hairy-tufted knee caps. We would "do the deed", sit in the car for a while - usually with her feet up, and then go on to work as if it were just another day...NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting a link to this blog on the SMC listserv. I'm also 39 and will have my first IUI in about two weeks. It's great to read about someone else who is going through pretty much the same thing I am. Keep 'em coming : ) Thanks, Julie

    ReplyDelete