Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lessons learned over a glass of wine.

I'm sitting here tonight, enjoying a glass of wine, and contemplating the lessons learned in my first attempt at mommyhood. It has been very eye-opening, to say the least. So, here's what I learned:


  • It is possible to have all of the early symptoms of pregnancy even if you aren't pregnant. It's called stress.

  • I am not capable of waiting patiently to find out if it took. I would test a couple times a day if I could afford the tests. (As if the process weren't expensive enough.) I need to plan a lot of stuff to keep me busy during the 2 week wait.

  • The hormones they put you on will make you a little crazy - probably because they make your cycle longer, thus prolonging the suspense. (Would have been nice for my Dr. to warn me)

  • I am SO over the strangeness of the whole anonymous donor issue. Truly, the least of my problems.

  • The second time will be easier - unless of course, it works - in which case, it will never be easier than it is now.

  • I have got to RELAX.

So, I get a couple of days to enjoy a bottle of wine. Then, it's back on the Clomid, back to the RE, back to the sperm bank, etc. I'm hoping that a more serene approach will bring better results. I mean, would you rather spend nine months in a room with candlelight and Enya or red lights and speed/death metal coming from the sound system? Feel free to remind me of that if you see me and I seem like a ball of stress. I may be a Buddhist but I'm not the Buddha.

2 comments:

  1. You're about two, maybe three, months ahead of me (I'll start ttc in November or December), and I really appreciate your willingness to share your experiences. I'm 38, single, financially secure, own my house... all that good stuff... and also blogging (at www.starfishenvy.typepad.com). I went to my first dinner with SMC's last weekend, and it was amazing-- I highly recommend it if there's a local group in your area. It's incredibly encouraging to see people who have been through this, and who are making wonderful lives with their children. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot-- I meant to add that the best thing about the SMC dinner was that, no matter how many times these women had gone through IUI and IVF and whatever else there is to go through that I don't know about yet, they were all so thrilled to be moms. It really did all seem worth it. Which is something that I'm going to hang onto in the inevitable wine-drinking times ahead. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete