Friday, May 1, 2009

Whispering sweet nothings? I don't think so.

Is there a point at which you could have too much information from your donor? I want to know what he looks like, what his interests are, what his natural abilities are. I want his personality profile. I want to know his family medical history for the last 4 generations. I'd like to have baby pictures and adult pictures. I'd even like pictures of the other children created through his donations.

But, do I want to hear his voice? Some of these sperm banks actually offer audio clips from the donor. I made the mistake of listening to one. It totally freaked me out. I'm not sure if it made him too real for me or what.

Now, I'm not an idiot. I know he's a real person. He has to be. This isn't "Weird Science" and I'm not trying to make a baby out of a Barbie doll. (I apologize for the '80s movie reference.) But for the love of Pete, I'd rather think of him as words and pictures on a page - a nice 2 dimensional set of statistics who just happens to have something I need in order to make a 3 dimensional person. He'll be real to me soon enough. Like when I'm trying to figure out who my offspring looks like or why my kid makes that scrunchy face when he's concentrating on something.

For now, it seems too much like a dating service. And if I've learned anything from dating services, it is that the guys are rarely as good as their profiles. They may look great on paper, but when you start talking to them ........ eh......... not so much.

1 comment: